Saturday, June 16, 2012

WIP- Santa Gets a Body!!

We are home again with Gayland's new knee, he's getting around better, and I have an excuse to work in the craftroom - I've got to stay close at hand in case he needs something, and since my craftroom is just off the front room, I simply must stay in here...hehehe.  So, Santa has gotten his body, and he's delighted!  He was very tired of being a head on the cabinet.



For those of you who have asked how I construct the body to hold a heavy clay head, you can see a glimpse of the construction.  He's made from 3/4" PVC - don't try to use 1/2", as it has too much flex EVERY time - it took me awhile to convince myself of that...  anyway, he's then covered in foam which has been seamed together with contact cement.  Let me say, I cannot complain about the stickability of Tandy contact cement, as I had foam stuck to every finger while trying to pinch the seams together!  A little duct tape will work as bandaids to hold the seams together while they dry. 
I have screwed an all-thread base (not sure of the correct name) onto the wooden base and tightened a 3/8" all-thread rod into it.  The PVC leg is currently slipped over the metal all-thread.  Also, here, don't try to use small all-thread, either, as it flexs, too.  When Santa is dressed, I have a couple of choices.  I can cut a hole in the bottom of one boot and run the metal rod through it, or if I don't want to ruin the boot bottom, I can disguise the metal rod behind the leg and under the coat.  Since the boots aren't antiques, I vote for the hole!

I want to say thank you to all of our friends and family for the prayers, the visits, and the calls while we were in the hospital.  It made all the difference.  You are appreciated!

Check back tomorrow to see if Santa gets some clothes!

Walk with Victory in Christ in all that you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy Do! Glad you stopped by!