Sunday, November 18, 2012

Step Out of the Boat...er..a...the Trailer

This week we will be celebrating Thanksgiving, and many of us will be thankful.  We will thank the Lord for all His blessings, we will pray for those who are in need, and we will sit in the boat...yes, that's what I said - we will sit in the boat.

Let me back up to a moment in time earlier this afternoon when I was working with Cimarron, my not-so-wild-anymore mustang.  For those who might not know, Gayland and I thought we didn't have enough to do (HAA!), so we adopted two mustang colts who had never been handled and were wild as March hares - a his and hers project, shall we say.  Gayland chose his on style - color and flashiness with a streak of wild running from nose to tail.  I, on the other hand, chose the big, plain one that stuck his head above all the rest and looked me in the eye.  We were the first to get approved for the adoption, so we had the pick of the herd. 

Now months down the road, I am not sure who's training who.  Cimarron and I are working on getting in the trailer.  We've worked on it once before and got in and out several times.  Today we walked to the trailer, and he got right in.  We stood there a few minutes celebrating the accomplishment, and I began to walk him back out.  Now I've never claimed to be any kind of trainer, so I pay attention to those who are.  They will give you the top ten ways to get a horse to load....but unloading doesn't ever seem to be a big issue....unless you live around here.  Thirty minutes later, a trip to the house to get my camera while he stood there with the rope over his neck, and me jumping through hoops trying to get him out, there we stood...


I talk to God alot as we work together because I have one goal for Cimarron - he will be used to glorify God in some way.  God leads us with our longhorns, and I have no doubt He will lead Cimarron and me down a path.... if we'll just get out of the boat....that's what I said again, the boat.  His desire to stay in the trailer frustrated me, and my patience got thinner and thinner.  By the end of the "training" session, I was frustrated and wondered what in the world I was thinking when I decided to train a mustang. 

But the thought rolled over and over in my mind about a message that could possibly come from a training failure.  God seems to give me a message through our animals on many occasions.  What could possibly come from me getting mad and losing my cool?  A need to ask forgiveness?  Well, yes, but...something more... a need to get out of the boat.  Inside the trailer, Cimarron got kibbles and pats and "good boys".  It was a safe place, he was thankful...and he might have even wished Cherokee had been there, too.  He simply didn't want to get out.  His faith wasn't strong enough to take that step off the edge...

How many of us are happy in the boat?  This Thanksgiving will you sit there and be thankful-hoping to stay afloat, or will you step off the side in faith and keep your eyes on Jesus?  Will you step out to follow Him?  I am thankful that God is merciful and has more patience that I do, but I think He's saying get out of the trailer.  What will you do this Thanksgiving?

Revelation 3:16 So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy Do! Glad you stopped by!