Friday, October 28, 2016

Thinking Big...a Little at a Time

Why, I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. ~ The Queen

I’m learning to make a shift in thinking, thanks to the Mad Hatter!  I’ve been enjoying being a part of Ever After 2016 where amazing artists are sharing new techniques each week, and we are trying out those techniques to create mixed-media art of fairy tale characters.  Because of graduate school, I am behind...imagine that… but after three weeks of new techniques, we were supposed work in our own style while incorporating some of the new techniques.  Well, the Mad Hatter appeared on my art table and brought a message from the queen.  


One of the techniques I’ve never really embraced is collage in my paintings, but it was one of the techniques we tried.  This set me about finding Mad Hatter quotes to incorporate in painting.  I ended up not collaging anything into the painting (go figure), but I honed in one particular quote that Google images attributed to the Mad Hatter.

Sorry, Mr. Carroll.  I should have done my research because it was the queen, not the Mad Hatter, who said, “Why, I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”  Hmmm, I wish I had known that before I had a poster made…. Oh well, live and learn!  It’s the idea that’s important to me.  I started thinking of all the times I’ve thought “little”.  It’s good to be conservative, but sometimes that kind of thinking limits us in reaching beyond the fence line we’ve given ourselves.  I prayed for God to increase my territory in the lives I touch for Him, and He opened a door.  



I have to tell you I paced back and forth by that door before I finally got the nerve to stick a toe across the threshold.  He wasn’t going to show me beyond the door until I trusted Him enough to step across the line.  I’m still learning to listen, trust, and step out in faith, but I'm growing.

I have decided to write a novel this November. Yes, I'm still in graduate school, and, yes, I am crazy. Not that there was ever any doubt, but now that we have those facts established, I am announcing my participation in NaNoWriMo! I don't care how bad the story is, I am writing a novel.



We are not guaranteed a particular amount of time here on Earth, and I don't want to miss any more opportunities.  I'm thinking BIG...even if it's just a little at a time, and I'm going to keep sticking my toe across the thresholds of the doors God opens!

What about you?  What are you doing with your dash...you know, that time in between the two dates on your headstone?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy Do! Glad you stopped by!