Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Blogging a Book #3 - Chapter 1

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

That is much easier said than done, but it is possible when you keep your eyes focused on God.  I can't answer tough theological questions about why things happen the way they do, but I know God's Word is true.  He has shown me that again and again.  If you were to line me up with the apostles, I would have been huddled there with Thomas.  God has never given up on me, though, and He has guided me step after step in revealing the truths in scripture.  Battles come.  That's a fact.  He tells us trials will come, but hang on to your britches because He has overcome the world.  Whether it's cancer, loss of a loved one, depression, crippling disease, or any other mountain in your path, there is another side.  

Don't sit and stare at the battle worrying when it will overtake you.  Meet it head-on!  You could sit and wallow in self-pity and paint your sorrows, or you can follow the Lord's advice.  Make no mistake, I have wallowed more times than I'd like to admit.  The night I came home with a cancer diagnosis, I broke down and cried when Gayland asked me what the doctor said.  I laid on the couch sobbing, and something in my soul said, "Ok, that's enough."  And it was.  I can't properly put into words the rest of the journey, but God had been preparing me without me even knowing.

When You said, “Seek My face,”

My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.”  Psalm 27:8

I suggest you start your journey with an art journal.  There are thousands to choose from, or you can make your own.  
Things to consider:
  • the medium you choose - watercolors, pencils, acrylics, markers, mixed media, etc.
  • budget
  • amount of flexibility you want
  • to travel or not to travel...that is the question...(ok, I know I'm a nerd!)
I create art on a budget (my YouTube tagline: On a shoestring, a wing, and a prayer!), so I look for supplies that are inexpensive but still make me happy when I create with them.  You may want to start with a ready-made journal.  I like to paint with both watercolors and acrylics, and I use 140 lb. watercolor paper for both.  I have gotten accustomed to using the cold press paper, which has a rougher texture than hot press, because it was the only paper our local Hobby Lobby carried for a long time.  Hot press watercolor paper has a smoother finish, so it is a style choice you'll have to make.

I have journaled in one form or another all my life.  I've used everything from yellow legal pads to sketch books.  It's less about the journal, and more about getting thoughts, prayers, and promises onto something concrete.  When I really started art journaling, I figured out I needed to make my own book to control the pages of my story.  It removed the need to "get it right", so I wouldn't mess up the book.  I work on loose pages and bind them when I feel like it.

For the first pages, let's start simple.

You need:
watercolor paper/journal
pencil
watercolor crayons (or paints)
water brush or watercolor brushes
white and flesh-tone acrylic paints (optional, but I like to have them)
black permanent marker (optional)



Buying Tip:  Be sure to use the 40% coupon on the Hobby Lobby app!

Now gather up a few supplies, and meet me back here on Saturday for our first art project!


God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Psalms 46:1 



P.S.
(Organizational update for those who like to know what's coming...my plans to post three times a week were too lofty.  Life has other plans.  I have the text, but I need time to create the art, so posts will likely appear once a week.  I'm am working out a way to keep posts from being ridiculously long.  I will be breaking chapters into sub-sections.  I am also considering adding video.  Who says it can't be a multi-media book?  Sign up on the side-bar to receive the post feed, so you know when a new piece of our journey is posted!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy Do! Glad you stopped by!