Saturday, May 20, 2017

Blogging a Book #5 - Chapter 1 Art Project #2


I hope you found several promises in scripture that ring in your heart.  There are endless ways to art journal, but I want to help you in your journey to cope and to heal.  I want this to be your book of thanksgiving, a record of the blessings in your life - of gratitude with attitude!  When you really start to look for God's blessings, you find they are sprinkled throughout your day.  I find it much more powerful to journal the positives in my life rather than the problems.  I know there are people who will disagree with me, but I can only share what has helped me.  It's OK to say, "God, I'm struggling here!" but don't leave it at that.  Finish off with something like, "...but I know You are answering my prayers, and I am so thankful!"

Find things you've taken for granted - sunrises and sunsets, sounds in nature, and those little things you wrote off as a happy coincidence (which I don't believe in, by the way).  If you are child in God's family, it is no coincidence!  God's word says He shows favor to his children.

For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous;
With favor You will surround him as with a shield.

                                       Psalm 5:12



What about that line that opened at the checkout just as you got there?  Or the person that saw you drop something and returned it?  And don't forget those little jolts to your memory that remind you where you left your keys, your purse, your phone...  Get the picture?

Spend some time Googling art journaling and soak up the ideas that inspire you.  If you haven't decided on a journal, yet, you might want to try making some individual pages with watercolor paper.  I use it for my acylics pages, too.  It can take quite a bit of abuse!  If you are creating your own journal, it can be as simple as a binder with your pages or as fancy as a book you've bound yourself.  

Find one thing, no matter how small, that you are thankful for and make it the focus of your next journal page.  Find a scripture that relates to your art.  Why?  Two reasons, it gets you into God's word for a purpose, and it helps you to make those words your own.

Next, sketch out a drawing that represents your one thing.  It should shout joy and thankfulness, or whisper peacefulness.  Don't fuss over the drawing.  Get it on the paper and start adding paint!

When I first started this writing journey, I made a few videos to go along with the book. Much of this post is echoed in this video.  The page is done in acrylics, but watercolors, markers, or colored pencils would work just as well.  




(Organizational update for those who like to know what's coming...my plans to post three times a week were too lofty.  Life has other plans.  I have the text, but I need time to create the art, so posts will likely appear once a week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy Do! Glad you stopped by!